Friday, June 24, 2011

Kitesurfing on the Lake

A few times this year, we have seen someone "Kitesurfing" on the lake. I have to admit -- this looks like a LOT of fun!

(I'm not sure if it's called Kitesailing or Kitesurfing or Kiteboarding as all of these terms describe about the same thing. But since Kitesurfing is what Wikipedia brought up, I'm going with that.) 

This is the description given: "Kitesurfing or Kiteboarding is an adventure surface water sport that has been described as combining wakeboarding, windsurfing, surfing, paragliding and gymnastics into one extreme sport."

I was so excited when he was close by our house and I was able to stand on my deck and watch him and take photos. 

Kitesurfer circling the boat his friends are in.

Catching a 'running start' towards the boat.

Getting closer to the boat...

And OVER the boat he flies!

He is able to control the direction he wants to go and turns around quite easily. 

Zoomed in to show the board he is riding.

Another zoomed in shot.

And OVER the boat once again!

He seriously makes this look so easy but this takes a lot of talent!

Occasionally the kite just lifts him right up out of the water.

Hubby and I enjoyed watching him in front of our house.

Thanks for visiting!



I am joining Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer

5 comments:

Babs said...

Carolyn, That is so neat! Are you signing up for classes? :)
Have a great weekend on the lake,
Babs

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Very cool pics!!
I have a son who does that... it does take a lot of practice. He learned at South Padre island in Texas where it is shallow all the way across the bay.. so if you fall it is not so hard to swim it back in..(they lived in Mexico at the time & could make weekend trips :) now he is very good at it & can do Lake Michigan
When he 1st started, I asked him if he was going to buy the equipment & he said, "No Mom, It is an old guys sport" I then asked "Why that"? & he replied, "Because it is so expensive only old guys can afford it"... : ) ... I think he is on board #4 by now...
It is very fun to watch...

Jodi said...

Very cool, i am not sure I could do anything like that, I would wipe out for sure

Anonymous said...

wow how exciting,, better than TV!You have an a beautiful view,

Out on the prairie said...

I was hoping you were offering lessons. What a lot of fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...